Many times when I walk into a store here I am greeted with wide-eyed fear. The Korean sees me and thinks that I am going to ask them many confusing questions in English (a subject that they have/had studied for almost 10 years in school) or maybe do something strange. The two or three sales assistants argue over who has the better English and more often than not the youngest female gets pushed my way. After determining who will mind me they just stick to my heels and following me all over the shop until I tell them "eye shopping-uh" (just looking) or I leave.
When I do have a question or request they do try their best to get me what I want. I needed a water bottle so I went to a North Face store and said to the girl "mul bottle" (mul=water). She scrunched up her face then ran off only to return a minute later with a little cup filled with water. I dutifully drank the water but then found the water bottles myself and showed her "mul bottle" and she replied with an "ah-ha!" look and pointed upstairs. I started to walk upstairs when she grabbed my arm and said "no" while pointing upstairs. I guess the water bottles are up there but I wasn't allowed to get one and she didn't feel like getting me one.
I lost my ATM card the other week. It was quite easy for me to get another one since 1 Korean bank has generously opened an "Expat account" option. Everything is in English and they have very helpful English speaking staff. When I received my new card it wouldn't work so I had to call customer support. Once we figured out the problem the operator called twice to make sure everything was ok and to see if I needed anything else. This made my day. Doesn't take much these days.
Oh, I cannot forget all the "service " I get at restaurants as well. Often I will be out and the owner will walk up and place a beer or some other food on the table and quietly mutter "service-uh" (service = on the house.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
The upstairs areas at Korean North Face stores is usually for storage only.
And quit writing nice things about Korea - you're going to make me want to come back there!
what bank was this? i love the service too.
This upstairs area used to be open to the public. Anyway, if there were bottles upstairs, why didn't she go up and get one for me?
The bank is KEB. They started the service this past August I think.
Post a Comment