After eating moksal (pig neck) at a friend's restaurant another friend and I headed off to an izakaya (Japanese style bar) for some beer and more food. Korea is great for giving "service-uh", which is basically free stuff. Sometimes it comes with the meal, other times they give it to you because you are an incredibly handsome expat (well, I like to think that is why). After going out with Koreans, from what they say, service-uh happens more when they are with me then when they are just with Koreans! Yata!!
One unfortunate thing about many Korean (and Japanese) bars is that you have to order food if you want to drink. I have gone to empty bars where they refused us service because we only wanted to drink. I guess no money is better than a little money. Often you may see Koreans eating large platters of mixed fruit with their beer, or possibly steamed silk warm larvae! Yum!! On this particular night we ordered maelo 메로 (Patagonian tooth fish) which tasted like an oily halibut and was oh so delicious (if not a bit scary looking!) This particular restaurant serves whale on Tuesdays and Saturdays. I don't recommend it, it doesn't taste very good. How did Korea escape international condemnation in regards to whaling?
On the way home I saw this advertisement for something or other. I just like his hat! My camera seemed to think it was strange as well since it decided to give the Korean an even larger head than they normally have.


No comments:
Post a Comment