February 2, 2010

My last apartment in Korea was in a small but noisy building that housed mostly single people with loud shoes in tiny studio apartments. I lived on the 3rd of 5 floors. At least once a week someone would try to open my door. Sometimes they would knock then turn the handle, other times not knocking at all. It could be at 9 in the morning, 9 at night, or ever 3am. Every so often I could here people talking and mention "foreigner" (weigook-in) while trying to open my door. WTF?

Now I am living on the top floor which is heavenly since it is too high for the Christian missionaries to walk up (no elevator) and I don't have to hear Koreans doing their nightly furniture moving ritual above me. Today though I did get my first attempted home invasion. Some teenagers decided that they wanted in. I have a keypad lock, so you just slide open the cover and punch in the numbers. I guess the beeping noise when they slid the cover open spooked them because I could hear them running away after that and I watched them run out of the building a short time later.

Stay the fuck out of my apartment.

No comments: