December 22, 2006

A pleasant surprise

I was invited out to dinner with the teacher in the video (Dec 14th post) below and his family. I was quite nervous about it as his English is not very...understandable.

It started with him driving me to the beach to see the sunset (no family in sight) and then drove me to an outdoor market. After that we went to his apartment (still no family) and he kind of yell-talked to me. I think he only has one volume, loud.

Finally his wife showed up and she couldn't have been more than 4 feet tall. A few minutes later his 2 sons trickled in and the whole family was there staring at me. They all spoke English at one level or another so if one didn't know a word then another would. The oldest son was pretty good so he helped out a lot.

At one point when Mr Joh (the teacher) stepped out they asked what I thought of him. By stepped out I mean he was having a cigarette 10 feet away. I said he was very nice and was always laughing at work. They all got this strange look on their faces and told me that at home he is always yelling at them and is always drunk and rarely at home. They told me he was a bad husband and father...ok.

Lucky for me today was his day to be a good husband and father and he took us to eat at a nice little restaurant where they told me a guest is supposed to stuff himself as a sign of thanks, I am never one to be rude and not show my thanks.

After we went back to their home, had some wine and I helped them with their English. It was a surprisingly good time and really glad I went. I heard that it is really rare to have Koreans invite strangers into their home (I barely new him before last night) so I am happy to have had the experience. Thanks Joh family!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

never one to be rude? really??