January 7, 2007

Camp

I started teaching at an English "camp" this week at a nearby university. It is me, two Irish girls, two American guys, one Canadian and one Aussie... and a few Korean teachers as well. I teach 4 different classes a day to two groups. So I have about 120 students in all. I can only remember a handful of their names (they have to use English names) but it doesn't seem to be much of a problem. I do have a cute teacher's assistant, so that makes the day go by a bit quicker.

I was hoping that some of the teachers would be from Busan so I could make so new friends in the area but it's not to be. Oh well, I will make the best of my time here.

I am staying in a dorm since it takes an hour to get to the school from my flat. I share a suite with the Australian girl which is a bit hard since now I need to remember to put the seat down all the time. She seems quite nice and we get along (she's only been here for 2 days though) so it shouldn't be bad.

We (some of the teachers and I) went out last night to get some beer and food. After having a pork omelet we went to the Girl and Beer bar. I was a little upset since there were actually 2 girls there but they were dressed in some weird anime outfit that wasn't very attractive on them. After that we ventured to the Beatles bar where we expected to find a Beatles theme. There was one small poster over the bar but the rest of it looked and smelled like all of our grandmothers' houses. Finally we went to ㄹㄴㄹ BAR (if you see ??? before bar it's because you don't have Korean installed on your computer) which was really swank and they even gave the one in the group who wasn't drinking a free Jack n'Coke. We had to leave shortly after since we have a CURFEW!!! They lock the doors to the dorm at midnight. I don't know what they do if there is a fire (I don't care, I am on the bottom floor) but what I do care about is why college students (the curfew is for everybody living on campus) aren't allowed out.

Anyway, I left my laptop on the subway this morning. Thankfully Koreans aren't into theft so much.

No comments: