March 9, 2007

opening ceremony



Above are some of my students doing a traditional Korean dance before my new school's opening ceremony. Good times were had by all! Free vodka during lunch helped. Unfortunately I wasn't told I had to teach afterwards.

The ceremony was held on the soccer pitch outside. The school (who doesn't have enough money to fill the brand new pool with water) spent over $20,000 for the event. Lots of "important" people were invited. I actually got to go to the bathroom right next to some bigwig politician! At the beginning of the big event there was some dramatic music from huge speakers. I could hear a small rumble and got really excited because I thought there was going to be a fly-over by a couple of military jets. I was craning my neck everywhere looking for them when "WHOOSH!!!" came out of the speakers...it was all just a recording. Then 2 confetti canons went off and the entire row in front of me became instantly pissed. Seated there were the teachers in charge of keeping the campus clean. Within 10 seconds the entire school grounds was covered in little squares of white paper.

After a lunch of sausage and me teaching all the teachers what a screwdriver (the drink) was we had to head off and teach one class for the day...why bother? About the screwdrivers...none of the teachers liked them at first but I soon saw them lining up for seconds. Score one for the Meigook san (person from the Beautiful Nation aka an American). Not so sure about the spelling on that word back there, but the translation is correct.

No comments: