The next day was beautiful and we spent a large part of it sitting outside of a decidedly non-Korean type bar and had a few Guinness to pass the time as we waited for the ball game. We all sat there reminiscing about the great times we had at outdoor pubs in Czech. To ad a bit of surreality to the experience, a group of Russian women turned up to give it an even more Eastern European feel. Spasiba(sp?) ladies!
On Saturday Dave had to work so we parted ways and Steve and I headed off to an old prison that the Japanese used to hold Korean "heroes"(not Hiro, who is Japanese). It seemed more about hate mongering than anything else (our guide even pointed out some turncoat Koreans and told us how she hates them) and it even gave us the opportunity to try out being tortured. I got inside one cell that I couldn't stand upright in (I ain't Asian) and the guide locked me in (wasn't happy about that). You could also stick your head into a display that was supposed to show your face on the body of a Korean being electrocuted. Nice. After the Japanese were kind enough to leave Korea the Koreans used the prison for non-hero Koreans until
1989 (hopefully with less torture).Steve and I hoped onto the subway for a long journey to Suwon (a Seoul suburb)to another game. We got on the wrong one watch and went a bit out of the way but finally got there.
Somehow we got seated with the visiting fans but still had a good time. Nobody gave me a sparkler though.

No comments:
Post a Comment