May 19, 2007

strangee week-uh

UPDATE: I changed this post a bit so if you already read it give it another read!

This week was...interesting.

The student teacher I went to the concert with really seems to like me...a lot. He SMS'd (texted) me numerous times the night after te show, when he saw me in school he snuck up to me and whispered something about going to a movie, and then called me again and again. He really scared me ( would have been frightened if a girl acted this way as well) and I didn't answer (coward?) so I think he got the message that I don't want to be his free English teacher/lover.

Tuesday was "Teachers' Day" which is a day for the students to shower their teachers with gifts, and at academic schools, throw the teachers a bit of cash. I saw a few moms walking around with white envelopes stuffed with something money shaped looking for their sweet child's homeroom teacher. Unfortunately I got a whole bunch of nada but I am not broken up about it. During the day we had an assembly where we (teachers) had to walk past all the students who were clapping and singing "the teachers' day song". I felt like a champion walking to fight my next challenger. Actually I felt a bit awkward but we had the afternoon off so I won't complain. Oh, we did all get carnations.


On Thursday one of the teachers went bat-shit crazy after she saw the vice-principal look at what she was photocopying. She started screaming and yelling at him which lasted for quite some time. Basically the argument (the VP's side) was about how teachers should photocopy BEFORE the tardy bell rings but they argued for 10 minutes or so making her miss even more of her class than if she just did the copying and left. Most teachers (including myself) don't head to the classroom until we hear the final bell. I used to be at class on time but there were never any students so it was pointless.

That afternoon our school played the girls' high school teachers in soccer. It was a horrible game and one of our teachers (who was smiling minutes before) picked up the ball and just through as far from the field as possible then just walked away.

I played the day before against the students and I was like Pele out there. When it came to playing against the older, slower and not as good teachers I was more like Eddie the Eagle. In Korean culture age is very important. One of the first questions a Korean will ask you is your age since that influences how what form of Korean they use when speaking. It is also bad form to show up an elder. I am beginning to get the feeling the the students are letting me be better than I really am.

I know that I may talk about soccer too much but I am so glad I am playing it. It is the one thing I look forward to here and a part from my all the skin on my left toe-thumb being ripped off it's a hoot. It is also the only stress in my life [other than thinking about the future (when will we have robots to wait on us)] keeping me up thinking about how I could have made a certain pass a bit more accurate. It's tough being me.

One of the teachers asked if she could send me text messages so she could practice her English. I was happy to help as she is very kind and always gets me free medicine (she's the nurse but they still call her teacher). Well, around midnight I started getting messages from her. I could barely understand them do to her poor English and the fact that she was as drunk as a Welshman.

Nurse: I fall in in depression I think you so I think you. Are you know my word?
Me: Why are you sad?
Nurse: I WANT MEET MY DESTENY(sic) MAN BUT I DON'T MEET MY MAN SO THAT SORROW ME.
Me: Maybe you are just looking in the wrong places.
Nurse:Maybe...but I believe my truly heart. I sincerely thank you so much really really.

I am not making fun of her, it is sad but I was trying to sleep and it's hard enough to talk to people when they are drunk let alone when neither of us speak the same language.

My mom has been asking for some pictures of my apartment. I have done even better and made a video!

1 comment:

Steven said...

Aren't you ashamed to show that dirty, mildewed, moldy, food-encrusted apartment to your family?