June 24, 2007

Last week my friend Dave came to visit. It was a typical weekend of eating and drinking. On Saturday we went to a little restaurant that had tables out in an alley with scooters zipping by. Dave brought his tiny yet very cute Korean friend with him. Turns out she lives in Busan but Dave never thought to mention her to me. Oh well, she is gone now (thanks Dave). The restaurant seemed to like us and gave us some free beef. It was just a plate with cooked ground beef. I have to admit it was tasty and they secured return business. Afterwards Dave and I went to the bar "Cowboys" to have a few beers before we headed in for the night.

As we were drinking a drunk Korean guy walks up and asks if we are Americans, I said we were Czech in hopes that he would leave us alone since he didn't speak English (except for a few basic words) and I was pretty sure he didn't know any Czech. Unfortunately this didn't deter him and he kept saying either "your gay" or "ok" again and again. He would leave then come back and at one point brought over a plate of half eaten food and picked some up with his bare hands and tried to feed me. The manager finally had to drag him away.

After a while he returned and was even more annoying and at one point he somewhat slapped me. I started to push him away and say goodbye but this pissed him off a bit and he through a shoulder into my back (we were sitting at the bar so our chairs were high). During this Dave and I were both staring down the manager to get this guy away from us. Finally the manager came and kicked the guy out.

Koreans are like most people and when the guys get a few drinks in them they get very in your face and feel the need to prove themselves. I have had a few drunk Korean men stare me down, or at least try to, and it is more comical than anything else. They are so cute and tiny, like little elves (I kid!!).

On the opposite side of things, more teachers are finding out that I am not coming back after the semester and they really seem disappointed. In fact, they are angry at my co-teacher because they think it is her fault for not getting me to stay. Everyone at the school has been so nice to me and they have done nothing but help and try including me in everything. As I got back from one class on Friday I had a giant box of tomatoes sitting on my desk. Turns out some of the parents got them for all of the teachers. It was only a coincidence that it was the last class before finals.


This next week I will sit around and do absolutely nothing all day. During the testing I have no job but have to be at the scool so I will spend all my time reading or sleeping in the rest room. The great thing is that on Saturday I will be going to the USA for my brother's wedding. Huzzah!!

I will miss the school.

No comments: