October 5, 2007


I was planning on posting everything I wrote in my little journal but then thought how you'd all lose interest after day 2, so instead I am putting up my last day which is more than enough.

October 01, 2007

I am sitting in the Breclev train station located on the Czech/Austrian border enjoying my first Gambrinus beer in over a year.

I got into Moscow at 14:15 local time and after a few quick goodbyes I set out looking for a taxi to take me to the airport. Finding one was much more difficult than it should have been but after awhile I was approached by a young Asian boy pointing to his beat-up old Lada (a Soviet era relic) that had a taxi sign precariously placed on the hood. After some haggling over the price (wanted me to pay $100 for the 40 km ride)I hopped in and noticed that the driver took the taxi sign off of his car. He went flying through traffic just ignoring most signals and signs and all the while trying to show me how well he could write in English much to my dismay. He did alright spelling "Texac" but considering "C"="S" in Cyrillic he didn't do so bad, and he also managed to avoid the many cars everywhere. Ulan (the driver) was good company but all I wanted to do was look out the window for my whirlwind tour of Moscow.

At one point he warned that we may get pulled over so I was to lie to the police and say that he was my friend. It turns out he was an illegal taxi and could get huge fines if caught. Lucky for both of us there were worse drivers for the police to worry about.

Sitting in the bar now I have realized some of the similarities between Czech and Korea; House is on TV, three very drunk middle aged men are sitting in the bar, touching more than is appropriate for hetrosexual males, and all are going to drive home soon. Also, the bar is bleak, all just like Korea.

I need a shower. Washing in a dirty train bathroom using only a coffee mug to rinse with for 6 days leaves one quite rank. I am tired, dirty, and in need of a bed that isn't rocking back and forth (from the train, not the Russian girl that was having sex next to me in my cabin my first night on the train). I will miss not having the Polish singers next door though.

No comments: