I did have one inspired moment the other day though. It was 1am and I had been drinking Japanese whiskey and Coke Zero when I got a craving for Doritos. It was pouring down rain and in normal circumstances I wouldn't go out, but my bike was calling my name and my stomach was shouting for some artificial cheese flavored goodness. So I got dressed, hopped on my bike and rode like mad to get to the convenience store. I was a little nervous about hitting a drunk salaryman stumbling his way home in the middle of the street, or being hit by a drunk salaryman weaving along the dark roads with limited sight. But I was motivated, so plopped in my headphone, put on some Journey, and was off and back in no time.
Today I went to IKEA to see about buying a bed, found nothing so decided it was better just to spend some of that money on Krispy Kreme which was nearby. As I was walking through the downpour I saw a movie poster for "Indiana Jones" or "Indy Jone" as my students shouted this week (they all knew the theme song, so I was a happy man.) I decided to fork or my $18 for a ticket and be dazzled. Every time I have been to a theater outside of the US it has been quite pleasant. No talking, no phones going off or anything else to bother you. This time I was assigned a seat next to a white girl and her date. Let's just say she is of North American birth, and she made me feel like I was back home with all of her jibber jabber and letting everyone know she figured out the little clues. Thanks annoying idiot girl.
After the movie I stood in line outside with a bunch of other people to enjoy some donut goodness. It only took about 10 minutes, and since the rain was falling more or less vertical, I didn't get too wet.
A popular thing in Japan is the Crane Game. The one that has a big box with little stuffed animals inside that you rarely see people win and often read about small children getting stuck inside of. In Japan they have taken this to a whole new level. You can win nearly anything. Nintendos, naked figurines (little plastic doll like things), candy, chips, and of course stuffed animals. In the game pictured below you can win a live fish! I did see someone win one (winning happens quite a bit here) and was very glad to see that the crane didn't just drop the little guy down the hole.
This is a kimono one of my students made. It took her about 20 hours to complete it. It is about 2 inches tall.
My kids doing a warm-up.
A letter that was placed on my door at around 1am the other night. It says that there are strange chemical smells coming from my apartment...well, I think that is what it says, nobody would just tell me outright. Turns out the elephant living upstairs (the same one who called the police because of a "smell" a few weeks earlier wrote the letter. She and the realtor came to my door after we faxed the letter to the realtor/management office. There was a lot of me saying "I don't speak Japanese" in Japanese and them continuing to speak Japanese at me. Not sure anything was accomplished.
I got ADD from looking at this can.
I ride by this every day.
Finally, this is my 100th post!!!! YAY!!!!! Thanks to the few of you that have stuck by me thought the years. I wonder if I will make it to 200? Maybe I should not set my goals too high, lets aim for 101 first and play it by ear after that.

3 comments:
and a good 100th post it is my friend.
I was promised a pig. Where is the pig.
Dude, that picture at the top is the
best
ever!
Post a Comment