This is all about nails.
There is a "cutie" culture here that is a bit much at times. Everywhere you look you see 5-10 cell phone charms on everyone's phones, including the salarymen. They have everything you can think of, from Sambo-

To a pile of shit.

But I am getting off topic already. There is a subculture of the cuteness which goes to extremes. Many of these people call themselves "Lolitas" or "Princesses" and try and dress the part. One of the ways they dress is by putting incredibly strange things on their fingernails. I have seen some girls on the subway with miniature 3d flowers stuck to their nails and I just wonder how they can last more than a few hours. I talked to one student who is a make-up tattoo artist (does eyebrows mostly) who tried them out and she had nothing but complaints. I guess she doesn't feel the need to go all out for fashion (unless you consider tattooing your face "all out").
I found some good pictures here. The link is to Shokotan's blog. It is one of the most popular websites in Japan, alledgedly getting 100 million visits a month. I think mine gets about 8 visits.



1 comment:
You should just quit posting altogether. Nothing will ever top that picture at the top of your blog. It slays me every time!
Post a Comment