July 7, 2008


Yay! An actual post about Japan!

I decided last Sunday to try and limit the size of my meals. I was eating much more than I should and it shows. On Monday I went into town (3 stops away) for something or another when a glorious vision appeared out of nowhere. Burger King. It was singing its siren song, there was nothing I could do. As of last night, I have been there 4 times consuming a total of 7 chicken sandwiches.

This weekend was a bit more eventful than usual. Saturday night I went with my friend Steph to watch what we thought was going to be an open mic thing at a very far away bar on the other side of Tokyo. It turned out to be more of a jam session thing in a tiny tiny room in the tiny tiny bar. It was an international affair with Welsh, English, American and of course Japanese participants. Unfortunately everyone (I think there were 12 people total) was playing guitar except for two recorder types and a pianica (half little keyboard, half harmonica). It was still a fun time and I was able to meet some new people. Everyone was really friendly.


On Sunday Steph and I met up with collegues for the Dainichi-nyorai Festival of Shinsho-ji Temple. I am not sure what the festival is for, but according to the Narita city homepage, "It is the biggest festival in Narita, which is held along with the Dainichi-nyorai Festival of Shinsho-ji Temple. Starting with the passage of mikoshi (portable shrine), ten floats from each area of the city are drawn around through it for three days. The highlight of the festival is 'sobiki' on the last day, when the floats are drawn along the main pathway to the temple."



It was great to see so many people dressed in kimonos and other traditional attire. The kids looked so cute and the women so beautiful. Lots of things were for sale from cucumber-on-a-stick to baby turtles that cost less than a beer!


Lots of pictures have been posted, so go to the link on the right if you want to see some more! I will post a video I took later this week.

No comments: