August 27, 2008

hentai

I know most of you have this view that Japan is full of wonder and perverts. I have seen some wonder and I have seen some perverts. Going to Downtown Tokyo you see all the great flashing lights and a huge modern city. Going away from there though you see a place that is crowded beyond belief with very little space for living. Maybe my childhood homes really spoiled me, having green grass to play in and pools to swim in.


Don't get me wrong, Japan is a great country, it just has some differences that just irk me at times. One of those is the hentai. Hentai, like gay, can mean many things to many people. One typical meaning is pervert. I heard a student call me it once when he saw me at the local school watching their sports day. I live right next to the school and could hear everything going on and wanted to check it out. Who knew that I would instantly be labeled a pervert for 1. being curious and 2. being a foreigner watching something that I guess only Japanese were allowed to watch with a clean conscious.


While riding the trains I am continuously looking around and on more than one occasion I have seen men reading comic books with very graphic sex drawn in. Others will be perusing the escort pages of the newspaper. Partly because of this there are women only cars on many of the trains during rush hour.


Remember that contest I had way back when? Well, I bought some things to send to the winner (and I will get around to sending it I promise!) and one such thing was a manga. Manga is Japanese version of a comic book. I made sure to not buy him a +18 version, but still wanted to get him something that had typical huge breasted women in it. I thought I found a clean one but when I got it home and opened it (it was taped shut, now I know why) it was all sex. Some of it was what appeared to be preteen girls and older boys. Not something to send to anybody, much less print.

I edited away the dirty bits.

I am not trying to make a comment that my culture is better than Japanese culture, because I think there are a few good things I would like to adopt from Japan, but man, sometimes I am left a bit unsettled.

Yesterday as I was walking up stairs to work I glanced up to see that there was a student walking ahead of me. She is in high school and wears the typical short skirt uniform. Just as I looked up she looked back. Great. Now I am a hentai again.

No comments: