February 3, 2009

Crime

Police box on a Friday night, completely empty

One of the best things about this country is the near complete lack of crime (against me). Being nearly a foot taller and 40+ pounds heavier (I am 6'3", 190 cm and weigh 190lbs, 86kg) helps keep the riffraff away I am sure. Actually, the only people I see that really give me a second glance (if you don't count the millions of beautiful girls who can't keep their eyes off of me) are the police, then again, they might be wondering why I keep looking at them.


One of my schools is next to a koban (police box) which is more like a 2 story shed with little police mopeds next to it. I have to cross the street at a crosswalk but I seem to be the only one who waits for it to change. I will wait and wait as many Japanese will just walk on through while the police do nothing but look at me. I have not been harassed by any of them though, so that is a plus. I have read stories (which may just be that) about police stopping foreigners constantly asking for ID. I think my admirers are just that, checking out my smooth silky walk that I walk so well.


The police don't seem to be very adept at catching things though. Many high profile criminals are on the lam for years before being caught (and it isn't like there is a huge backlog of criminals to catch). Mostly they seem to catch the perverts trying to take pictures of girls panties while riding the escalators or on overly crowded trains.



I always see people sleeping on the trains with their purses wide open and their expensive keitai (cell phone) balanced precariously on their knee. I guess I am not the only person that has noticed this as my coworker was recently relieved of her bag while she was taking a train nap.


At least they use hi-tech methods for finding criminals.

No comments: