March 2, 2010

On the evening of February 13 I flew to Harbin China from Seoul. As I was flying over China I was amazed at how many blinking lights I saw below me. I assumed that they were all flashing lights that are on top of factory smoke stacks and was surprised by how many factories there were in China. It wasn't until we got lower that I realized that they were actually fireworks...and they were everywhere. Even when we when going in for landing they were zipping past the plane exploding just outside my window.

Driving though town trying to get to my hotel made me think I was in a war zone. There were groups of people everywhere bent over small fires in the middle of streets setting of small boxes of artillery. The sky was awash in flashing colors and the noise was nonstop.


I was able to meet up with my brother just before midnight and was able to partake in festivities.



As soon as the boxes of fireworks shot their goods some recycler would come along and scoop it it.


We went to have some late night food and beer at a local Chinese restaurant with a cute waitress that seemed to take off a piece of clothing every time she came to our table (though she did start off dressed like an Eskimo). Just before we were about to leave a group of young Chinese men came to our table to toast to a happy new year.

When we went into the restaurant the roads were literally covered in ripped red paper that had once covered long lines of firecrackers. By the time we left someone had come and swept the entire city.

No comments: