September 26, 2008

Getting weird

Yesterday I had a class of two middle school students who are pretty good with their language skills. This week they have a ton of tests so I thought I would take it easy, skip on the book and just ask them questions.

One response I was given reminded me of a David Sedaris story from his When You Are Engulfed in Flames collection of essays. This story involves him and his boyfriend traveling to Tokyo and a lot of his experiences mirror mine (though having a boyfriend is not one of those that I expect to mirror in the near future). He was talking to a Japanese college student who confessed he was afraid of moths. I have seen this fear in one of my colleagues, a 37 year old man who was hunting down a moth with RAID spray. I guess I can see why after watching "Mothra".



Well, my student claimed to be afraid of butterflies more than any other animal. How can anyone be afraid of butterflies? Are Japanese butterflies more dangerous than other countries' butterflies?



Author's rendition of Japanese killer butterflyOn another topic, seems like the competing school in town is up to some dirty business. After 2 weeks of not getting the results we found out that they were in the possession of our competitors. The other school is in the same building and the deliveryman made a mistake and gave our schools test results to the neighboring school. The only problem was that the evil-doers decided to just keep the tests and not tell us they had gotten them. They finally brought them over after being confronted but couldn't come up with any response as to why they never brought them over. We did get some free sweets out of the deal and I was able to see true Japanese groveling and the lowest bows I have experienced yet.

As for my Japanese lessons, I still go but since they moved out the worst student in the class, I have become the class moron. I guess it helps that the others are all married to Japanese men or work for Japanese companies where they are expected to speak Japanese. Oh well, I guess I need to learn how to study again.

No comments: