Since I moved into the apartment in March there have been huge banging sounds coming from the upstairs apartment. I let it go for a few weeks but then started to complain about it, but more often than not just letting it slide. Anyway, every time I complained to my boss (who was in charge of getting my apartment) faxed the information on to ERA (the rental company who has the most annoying theme song which plays on a loop just outside of my local train station).
At one point ERA did try and step in to resolve the issue (after the woman posted a strange note on my door saying something about smells from my apartment, more on that later) and it was quiet for about 2 days.
Who I thought was living upstairs.

At the meeting the old woman basically admitted (during an hour long tirade) that she made the noises on purpose and even looked to see if my bike was at home or not before she started. She also said that she smelled drugs coming from my place. When asked what drugs she smelled, the little old bag said it was marijuana. She had been doing research on the internet it seems.
My neighbor?

I do not know if you have any clues about drug laws in Japan, but it is safe to say they are on the severe side. It has been in the news recently that 3 Russian sumo wrestlers have been busted for marijuana and a couple admitted they bought the drug in Roppongi, the foreigner district of Tokyo. I think that the old hag made the connection that I am a foreigner, so that must mean I do drugs.
Lucky for me, she dug her own grave and will be out within a month. She doesn't know this yet though, she will find out on Monday. I am curious (and a little worried) about what her reaction will be.
On another note, the makers of My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited Away have had another huge success with Ponyo on the Cliffs by the Sea. The theme song is song by every one of my kid classes and now I have the privilege of hearing the local community band practice it at 8am on Saturday morning.

2 comments:
Wow, what a battle-axe! Glad to hear there's a light at the end of the tunnel, at least for you. But, could have done without the pic, vomiting as we speak! By the way, never knew my little brother was a Peeping Tom!
S,
I am so happy I found your blog. To be honest, I'm not really sure how I did... facebook, maybe? Was I smoking the drugs your neighbor suggested? Either way, great read. Specifically because no matter what we have in common (nothing... maybe Jon?) we have shared the joy of teaching outside the US. Can't wait for the next post.
-C
Post a Comment