December 19, 2008

Winklepickers

One big problem of living in a country with loads of little people (other than smashing my head on door frames) is finding clothes that fit properly. I buy XXL sizes but still the shirts only come down to my waste and the arms are an inch too short. I went to J Crew for some pants but they barely fit over my skinny legs.

Shoes are another problem. They all seem to stop at size 9US. I am a size 11, so this really sucks. The strange thing is 90% of the Japanese men I see have shoes almost twice as long as mine! The current style is "clown" but known as "winklepickers" in the UK, or so I am told. (A winkle is a small shell)

These are a size 9 (10.5 inches) but are 17 inches long!!

The most interesting thing is the way that their toe curls u after some extended wear. It reminds me of the Wicked Witch of the East just before she is sucked under the house.

No comments: