January 13, 2009

Seijin no Hi


I try to carry some sort of photo taking gadget with me at all times. Yesterday's run to McDonald's wasn't one of those times.

I new it was a holiday, but not what it was for. I have given up asking students why they have a certain day off, but most times they don't have a clue. I turns out that Monday was Seijin no Hi, or Coming of Age Day. It is when all 20 year old Japanese go to declare their adulthood. They all go to their local city hall and get some gifts and listen to a speech.

All the girls dress in Kimono and have their hair done all up, and in general look quite pretty. The ones I saw milling around my local train station looked amazing wrapped in silk and fake white fur things. The guys I saw were all dressed in black suits (getting ready for a life sentence as a salaryman) but some dress in the male version of the kimono (hakama).

I didn't get any pictures but Jimmy Choo's son Danny did. He is a self professed otaku and loves figurines and manga (comics). Here is his site with a ton of pictures.

No comments: