
Had more running around for my school. I wish they would just listen to me instead assuming that I am a clueless foreigner (like they did when I had to get checked for swine flu). I went to the Busan National University Hospital to be greeted with total chaos when I entered. People everywhere and adjumma (old women) yelling for all sorts of reasons (I am guessing that they were for different reasons, but who knows). It reminded me of my trip 10 years earlier to a hospital in Belize. I had an ear-ache and was prescribed goat seaman as my cure (well, we at the camp came to a group consensus that it was from a goat).
I was given my own mute detail to walk me all over the hospital for my "physical", The nice thing was that I got to skip the lines that dozens of Koreans were noisily waiting in. Sometimes the foreigner tax here is a good thing. I did take a 20 second yearing test then a man looked in my ear canals for a brief moment before declaring that I could hear. After that I went clear across the hospital to another office where I stood at the door for the doctor to give me a distant (she was across the room) once over before signing and stamping her ok. Finally I had to walk to another part of the hospital for my blood and pee check. Unfortunately for me it appears my pee samples may appear on national tv as there was a film crew taping my every movement once I reached that part of the hospital. I am terrified that it will be used as stock footage on how foreigners all have mad swine flu or some such thing.
Before I made it to the hospital I had a few hours to kill since my school decided to let me sit at school for a long time before telling me I just missed the morning time slot for the health check. I made my way to my future apartment to check out the neighborhood. There is a great eel restaurant nearby which I went to for my farewell meal my last time here. Also, there is a great trail which winds around the coast of the island. There appear to be tent restaurants on the rocky beaches that dot the trail, lots of fresh seafood to be had! The photo of the fisherman at the top of the post was seen along the path.
Below are a couple of women cooking at a couple of the dozen or so outdoor stalls in Nampo-dong, the shopping area near my island. I need to try them out sometime as well.


1 comment:
Sounds like a great spot, walking along the river, grabbing a rock and having a beer, than down to the tent for fresh seafood and soju!
Kevin
Post a Comment