
Today is the day when hopeful middle school boys come here for their interview. The lucky few will be selected to attend my wonderful school for the next 3 years.
Ten years ago the school was known as one of the worst to teach at since it was seen more as a boarding school for troublesome boys than a real school. Now there are lines to get in and strict rules to follow. If these rules are broken (smoking, getting arrested) you have a good chance of being kicked out.
One student last week was asked to leave after being arrested for an off campus fight. He was a second year student (high school is only 3 years) and was only 1.5 months away from completing his second year. Unfortunately for him, due to the specialty of our curriculum, he will have to start over at 1st year when/if he returns to a regular high school. I could not imagine having to repeat 2 years and I am pretty sure he'll just drop out.
Swine flu is sweeping though our and many other schools now. My students were supposed to go to Jeju Island (Korea's Hawaii!!!!...much like Put-in-Bay is Ohio's Manhattan) for all of next wek giving me a nice little vacation. This has been canceled now, s
o I actually have to do the job I am being paid for.UPDATE: looks like I may get a two week vacation instead!!
Coming into school today, I was given many surprised looks. Nobody told me that I didn't have to be here. All the teachers are in suits and ties, I am in jeans and a button down... Actually, looking around I see the other English teachers (Koreans) are wearing jeans also. I guess we are just a laid back (with my mind on...sorry) group. As I walked by the desks I saw that there was a fresh surgical mask on everyone's desk but mine (another clue that I wasn't expected). These are here to protect us from the dirty middle school kids.
So here I sit to play on the internet till lunch. I am staying because I do not want to make the other teachers angry and think the foreigner is lazy or skipping school. They are already upset that I don't have to come to class on Saturdays, but then I don't get the monetary bonuses they get. Last month they all got around $1000 for a holiday bonus, I got a $50 gift certificate.
I bought school sandles to wear in class with the money.
To celebrate sitting in an office alone I bought some chocolate milk. The box says "Our Chocolate flavored milk drink is hasty way to freshen up your day." You done good chyoko oo-yoo!!!

2 comments:
"a hasty way to freshen up your day"...your new blog title?
Haha!
Post a Comment