I went to watch Inglorious Basterds yesterday. I knew before hand that there was a lot of dialog in languages that I don't speak, so I tried my best to find out if there were English subtitles. I didn't expect there to be since I am in Korea and have been to other movies where the English subtitles were not present (one of the Bond films didn't have them at some points). I asked a theater worker and I was told "no" but then thought to ask someone else who said "yes". I decided to gamble and found out they were both right. Most of it was subtitled but other parts weren't.
The lack of subtitles didn't bother me as much as the idiot piece of shit who brought their dog with a noisy collar that jingled and jangled throughout the entire movie or the other moron who left their phone on "ring" mode, had it ring 3 separate times, not answering for 10 seconds or so each time, then having the audacity to actually answer and have a conversation while sitting in the theater.
I know how to say "shut up" in Korean (dok-cha) but had no idea how to say "get your fucking dog out of the theater or at least have brains enough to take off its collar!!!".
Other movie mishaps I have had in Korea were at Black and Apopolito or whatever that Mel Gibson movie is called. Black was advertised as an English movie, yet 95% was in Hindi. The Mel Gibson movie was in some other language with 0% English, so that was a complete wash. Interesting thing is that it was on TV last night and had both English and Korean subtitles.
The movie (IG) was interesting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
When the staff played Spiderman for the kids at a summer camp, we quickly noticed it was in Russian. As the 'Academic Advisor' it was my job to step in and ask, 'What the hell?' Their excuse - 'You don't know...this version was filmed in Russia, just used Hollywood actors....' Can't people just admit when they make a mistake?
That reminds me of having to watch The Little Mermaid in my 8th grade Spanish class every time we had a substitute. It was in French.
As for admitting a mistake...that would cause a loss of face, can't have that!
Be sure to add eep (ip - lips/mouth) before dak chuh.
You should have told them.
Sil leh hanh deh, gae sekki nah ip dak chi geh has sae yo.
Excuse me but get your damn dog to shut up - Roughly translated.
Post a Comment