The principal must have been inspired by Obama's "Cash for Caulkers" plan. All week men have been hanging from the roof caulking all the windows in sight. This would seem like a good plan for keeping the school warm, but there is one fatal flaw. Look at the picture closely, what do you see? Open windows.
I know central air/heat is somewhat new to Korea, but this is something they really need to get a grip on. Many times I will walk into my classroom to see the thermostat set at 30˚C (86˚F) and the windows open. I will close the windows but students complain that it is hot. Of course they are wearing a scarf and 2 coats that they never thought to take off. It's the same on the buses. It is full out heat or nothing.
Today school is freezing. All the doors are wide open and wind is blowing through the halls freezing everyone to the bone. I go and close the doors (including those that lead into the teaching office) but see them opened and left open not more than 5 minutes later.

2 comments:
Google 'Fan Death' a parculiar theory that seems widespread in Korea acceptance. Believe this belief spreads to AC units - weather warm or cold air blasting out - which is than extended to central air. I've argued this point during my time in Korea, at camps and now where my Korean students are all bundled up in class - myself in a short sleeve - and complaining about the heat.
Your bro
That used to drive me crazy, especially in the office. Some of the teachers close the door behind them, but most are oblivious to it. Just start hanging in the classroom more. At least you can control the temperature in there.
Post a Comment