December 4, 2009

A dialog that my students had to learn:

W: Did you hear the news about the terrorist?
M: Oh, yes. I think he should be sentenced to death.
W: I'm against the death penalty.
M: Sorry to disagree with you, but in order to reduce the crime rate, I think the crime rate is necessary.
W: I understand what you're saying. But I don't think it reduces the crime rate.

I had to give the students a speaking test this week. 3 weeks ago we gave them a list of 10 questions and told them that I would ask 3-5 of those questions for their test. They all wrote out answers and memorized them to some extent but most couldn't answer any secondary questions, for example-

Me: What will you do for winter vacation? (primary question)
Them: I go Jeju iceland. Jeju Iceland very beautiful. (some say "iceland" for island somewhat understandably)
Me: Who will you go with? (secondary question)
Them: Durrr.... skip skip (no, their friend's name is not "skip")

Some did quite well but there were enough with little to no clue what was going on. With that in mind I am wondering how the dialog I wrote at the beginning of the post will in any way help them. Also, 90% of the students were shocked to learn that there was a death penalty in Korea.

I do like my students though...well, mostly.

No comments: