July 31, 2010

This summer I have 5 weeks off. Unfortunately nobody I know also has time off so I decided to work at an English "camp" part time.It's not a real camp, the kids just come to a local university where I and a few others zip through a book and pretend we are teaching.

Normally I would teach 1 page an hour. That would be the vocab, the grammar and tons of speaking practice for them. Unfortunately the parents want to see something that shows their kid has learned a thing or two. SO we fly through the book and the kids can show them what a great job they did. For my part, I use the book but try more just to get them talking and enjoy the class as much as possible.

One nice thing about this camp (other than it only being in the morning and lasting 3 weeks) is that once a week we have a field trip. Today was ice skating. Little did I know that there was a rink a short 10 minute walk from my apartment! It's on the 5th floor of an empty office building. It has got to have the best view of any indoor ice rink in the world.


No comments: