July 26, 2010

When will they attack?

UPDATE: Looks like CNN is following my lead!

...

From my point of view, people outside the Korean peninsula seem to be more concerned about impending doom than anyone actually living here. Even though the North has attempted assassinations, blown up a civilian airplane and more recently sunk a South Korean ship, nothing has ever come of it and the people here seem to get more worked up about nonexistent mad cow from America than anything the North does.

My own view, which I have to admit I came up with with some help a few months ago after reading The Cleanest Race (which would have been an alright book if it had been a bit more objective).


Kim needs to keep his people in agreement that a military first policy is the best for the Norks and their safety. He also wants to keep power within his bloodline (bloodline is very important to Koreans no matter what side of the border they live on). For Kim Jong Il to convince his people that his 3rd son (his first 2 must really suck if he is going to his third string) he needs them to think that a military leader is the best for their country. Enter Kim Jong Eun. He is a General in the Nork Army, was Western educated and believes all the bunk his father believes or at least they both pretend to believe.
Anyway, if the Norks are truly to be taken at their word that they will attack if America and the South Koreans were to hold war games (which started this past weekend, and in the video in the link you can see my school during the last few seconds!!) on the Sea of Japan and the Yellow Sea, then tomorrow (July 27) is the day they should do it.

What happens July 27th? Only the biggest event in Korea since StarCraft! Yes, that's right, StarCraft II is being released. PC bangs (internet cafes) throughout the country will be filled with kids and adults waiting to kill their first Zerg or Protoss. Nobody will be minding the border so the Norks can just walk on over.

a Korean teenager watching one of the StarCraft channels on his cellphone

I have actually thought about what I would do if/when they attack. I like to think that I am relatively safe as I live on the southern tip of Korea and my apartment is surrounded by land mines. I do have bottled water at the ready as well as some ramen to keep my belly full for a few days. I thought I could lay low in the forest near my apartment, but that whole mine thing is a bit off putting.

a sign behind my apartment warning of land mines

No comments: