October 25, 2008

I still do not have an apartment

My bosses are working hard at finding me a place, but they seem to want control everything. I have asked repeatedly for them to email me the link which shows all the advertised apartments. They have repeatedly ignored my request or only emailed me a link to specific apartments. It is quite annoying not having much control over where you will live. If I do change jobs next contract, I will be sure to make sure I can choose which apartment I will live in for the next year. I am going to see one tomorrow morning, right in the middle of the OSU/PSU game. It sucks not having control of things.

Above is the apartment I will look at. It has windows, that is important to me. The numbers mean how many tatami mats will fit in the room, the green room even shows the tatami on the floor. The small blue room says "to-i-ray" or "toilet". It is katikana, the Japanese alphabet for foreign words. Even though it is an English word, it still takes me a bit to understand what it really means. Below are the only two pictures included with the ad. Very helpful.


I was reading up on things when Jimmy Choo's son reminded me of something interesting. Many apartment owners do not want foreigners in their apartments so the agent needs to ask them if it is okay and usually do so right in front of you. I have also heard stories where agents have said horribly racist things to foreigners' girlfriends, just assuming that the foreigner has no grasp of Japanese.

Of course, the only adjectives I know are "cute" and "scary". So unless someone uses one of those I am at a loss. Speaking of cute and scary, Halloween week is upon us. I will have to dress up everyday. The previous teacher was a mushroom the last two years, so it will not be hard to improve on that.

No comments: