March 1, 2009

Rant of a sort

CNN.com has features about families that have had hard times due to the economic downturn. Every one of the articles I have read (about 4 of them) have featured young families (in their 30s) that had at least one spouse earning more than $100,000 (and sometimes both earned that much). Then one or both lose their job and the articles tell how they try to cope paying, for example, their 3 year old daughter's $900 a month tuition for preschool. Or talk about how they had to put their antique and art collection in storage and move to a farm in Oregon where they can buy a cow and milk it so they don't have to buy milk at the store.

Can CNN find some real people that have real problems to profile please?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, Heimer. I continually hear stories about couples who are struggling because they agreed long ago that (for example) child care wasn't for their kid so they'd only be a one income family so now they're suffering. Let's hear some more stories about people who are struggling because they have no choice, not because of what they choose to so or based on what they choose to spend their $85,000 a year on. While this recession is real and is happening all around us, I believe that media hype is partially to blame for much of the financial panic we're in. That being said, I certainly hope that the next "real" financial hardship story doesn't come from me. Well, that's my rant for the day...

Unknown said...

I wasn't able to pay my cable bill for... oh... say 3 months, so finally my TV was turned off. I went three weeks without TV and you know what happened? Nothing. Big deal if I missed a few of my shows because I HAVE A PLACE TO LIVE (with heat, mind you) AND CLOTHES ON MY BACK. To quote the Crow, "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got."