March 7, 2009

So long and thanks for all the sushi


I leave Japan today with a slightly heavy heart. I had a good time here and I plan on coming back after summer. This week was spend with the new (and I think better) teacher observing my every move. I was given a lot of nice little parting gifts, and one wonderful woman even gave me something to give to my mom! There were a few tears shed as it dawned on a couple of the girls that I was actually leaving. They were 2 of my favorites, so I was near tears as well.

I will fly out of Tokyo (actually Narita, about an hour east of Tokyo) to Pusan, South Korea to see friends. I was originally going to go there and look for a possible job, but as the nation's currency is worth 40% of what it was when I was there 2 years ago, I don't think it is going to happen.



On or about March 21st I will hop aboard the Hanjin Praha for a 12 day journey to Long Beach and hopefully from there get on a train to Cleveland via Chicago. It will take awhile to do all of this, and no, it isn't cheaper than flying. I plan on studying Japanese...not sure why I waited until I left the country to finally study it, but there you have it!

I posted some more pictures on my flickr site, so head over to the PICTURES section on the right if you have any interest.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! How to get on a cargo ship? Are you going to sleep in a container? Hold your breath when passing by the Customs checkpoint. And take care!!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great time - a freighter across the Pacific and than a train across the US - I'm envious. Enjoy and look forward to seeing the pics, especially as the ship rolls into Long Beach!
Kevin

Scott said...

You can get on a ship with certain boking agencies. Just do a search for "freighter travel" and you should get a list of sites with destinations and agents.

I do get a room, so no container and pooping in a bucket for me.

Anonymous said...

Bravo Mr. Hobo! I wish you fun gambling with the sailors, fighting with the pirates, chatting with the seabirds, and most of all, running into a pretty pretty Gypsy girl.